Accessibility Tools
Sign in


Covid-19 Changes for Students in Purpose Built Student Accommodation – Private Halls

A new piece of legislation has been enacted to allow students to bring their tenancy to an end early. In order to do this, you must give written notice to your landlord and provide a reason related to the coronavirus outbreak. The amount of notice you need to give your landlord will depend on when you moved into the accommodation:

  • before 27 May 2020 - then you will need to give your landlord 7 days notice that you are going to leave the accommodation
  • on or after 27 May 2020 - then you will need to give your landlord 28 days notice that you are going to leave the accommodation

The Act, subject to review, has been extended and is in force to 30 September 2021.

To download a template to give written notice to your landlord  in line with this legislation, click here

Shelter Scotland has created this information sheet for students staying in PBSA (private halls). 

To see further information about this please refer to the following Scottish Government Student Information page.

Covid-19 Changes for student staying in private flats.

Shelter Scotland has created this information sheet for students staying in PRT (most private flat tenancies). 

Moving home in the time of Coronavirus pandemic

If you are looking for new accommodation or moving into a new flat please ensure that you read and follow all of the updated advice on how to do this safety during this time.  Please check the information on the Scottish Government website here.

Additional information about student halls, social housing and private rented accommodation can be accessed here

Accommodation Handbook

Viewing on mobile? Download here.

The Advice Centre can provide a listening ear and refer you to specialist support with accommodation issues.

For more information and links on finding accommodation, important legal information (including council tax and TV licensing), safety information and useful contacts please see our Accommodation Handbook above or download the Accommodation Handbook (pdf file).

Private Residential Tenancies 

From 1 December 2017, all new tenancies in Scotland are Private Residential Tenancies. This came with changes to the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.

Existing assured or short assured tenancies that were taken out before 1 December 2017 will continue to operate as they do currently until they come to an end or the tenant and landlord agree to convert them to a Private Residential Tenancy.

The Advice Centre has prepared a short guide about the changes brought by the new tenancy type which you can access here

Important Safety Information

Police Scotland produced the following report on student rental scams (pdf file). It includes information on how to protect yourself from becoming a victim.

NUS Resources

Download handy resources related to private rented accommodation such as the Checklist for house-hunting (pdf file) and Tips for moving out (pdf file).

If you would rather watch a video, check out the links below:

For other accommodation resources from NUS go to their Ready to Rent Hub.

Notice Board

We have an Accommodation notice board in the Advice Centre where you can check for details of flats, rooms and shared accommodation available to rent.  Anyone who has accommodation to advertise can use this space including students looking for a flat mate, University halls of residence and private landlords. If you would like to use this service please contact a Student Adviser as all advertisements need to be GCU Students' Association approved  before going on to the notice board.

Contact a Student Adviser for further advice.

DISCLAIMER - We accept accommodation information on behalf of individuals in good faith. Whilst we will make every effort to ensure that the information displayed is accurate, we can take no responsibility for individual statements. You are therefore advised to check out all the relevant details thoroughly before entering into any agreements.



GCU Students' Association, 70 Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow, G4 0BA.

Tel: 0141 331 3886 | Email: | Messenger: